Jill and Marty are repeat customers of MidAmerica. Years ago, they were plagued with water intrusion and cracks along the foundation floors. MidAmerica Basement Systems was able to solve all of their basement waterproofing needs. Impressed with the work MidAmerica did before, Jill and Marty called the team again. This time the Tipton homeowners had concerns about Radon in their home. Radon is an odorless gas produced by uranium decay in rocks and soil and is found in every state. Radon is as cancer-causing as tobacco smoke & asbestos, causing 15,400-21,800 deaths yearly. Radon concentrations are up to ten times higher during the winter. MidAmerica Basement Systems sent Mac McDaniel, who was actually the same Systems Design Specialist that worked with the couple before, and he was able to suggest a Radon Mitigation System that will help make Marty and Jill's home safer and healthier.
The crew installed a radon mitigation system that uses sub-slab depressurization to reduce radon levels. The project was headed by Lead foreman, Bill Wilcox. The team began by drilling a hole into the slab. The team then installed the PVC pipe that will collect soil gasses. The radon gas will then be vented through the PVC pipe that is connected to the hole. The pipe is connected to a fan in the attic or to the top of the structure for proper ventilation. The team measured the exit pipe to ensure that it was level above the roof of the home. The radon depressurization vent forces radon out from the house. Depressurizing the soil beneath the structure allows for the radon gas to be redirected. To resist gas entry, cracks are sealed using a urethane caulking compound. 30 days after the system is installed, retesting is done to ensure the system is working effectively.
Every home should be tested, especially as temperatures drops and Radon levels rise. If testing confirms radon levels above 4 picocuries (pCi/L), mitigation must be performed by a radon professional to reduce the level of radon gas in the air to a safe amount. MidAmerica is proud to have provided a home where the homeowners can breathe safely!