What Does Mold in Your Basement Mean?
A moldy basement is something no homeowner wants to deal with. There’s one thing that mold needs in order to grow: moisture. Basements are typically prone to moisture issues, which means a moldy basement can be a common problem in most homes.
Mold will thrive in a damp environment and can spread throughout the home and can cause more issues than just in the basement. A phenomenon known as the stack effect allows the air inside your basement to seep through the floorboards of your home and enter your main living areas.
As the mold spores enter your home, it can cause serious health issues for you and your family. It can lead to an increase in allergic reactions or other respiratory-related problems. Although some molds are more dangerous than others, any type of mold in your home is bad mold.
While you can try traditional mold-removal methods like bleach and water, it is only a temporary solution. In order to completely get rid of the mold, you must get rid of the source of moisture that’s causing the mold to grow.
Moisture can enter a basement in several different ways, and it can often be difficult to pinpoint the source. Whether your basement floods or if it’s a small leak, water intrusion can lead to mold growth if left untreated.
A leaky foundation could be the cause of mold growing in a basement. Water can seep through any cracks in your foundation walls and create a humid environment in your basement, creating the perfect environment for mold to grow.
Installing a dehumidifier will keep your basement constantly dry. It works around the clock to keep moisture out to avoid the risk of mold growth.
Eliminating moisture by having a dehumidifier installed will not only keep the moisture out but also the mold that is growing. A dehumidifier will give you peace of mind knowing that your basement is consistently dry and healthy.
At MidAmerica Basement Systems, we have helped homeowners protect their homes for nearly 30 years. We offer several waterproofing products to protect your home from dangerous mold growth. Contact us today for your free quote!