Discover the Causes of Foundation Problems
When it comes to foundation problems like settlement sinking or wall cracks, it’s all about the soil. If the soil underneath your home’s foundation is not supportive enough to hold the weight of your home, it can cause your foundation to settle and lead to many different issues for your home.
How does soil become unsupportive? Varying weather conditions can cause the soils to expand and contract when moisture levels change. During rainstorms, the soils become saturated with water and expand beyond their original size. Dry weather conditions then cause the soils to contract and become much smaller. This constant expansion and contraction creates voids in the soil, making it no longer supportive to the weight of your home.
As a result, you may notice many different symptoms inside and outside of your Davenport home that signify foundation problems, including settlement sinking or foundation wall cracks.
These symptoms include:
- Wall cracks: Foundation wall cracks can occur inside or outside your home and appear as either small hairline cracks or very large cracks.
- Sticking doors and windows: As your foundation settles into the ground, it puts pressure on your home’s structure and can cause your windows and doors to “stick” when you try to open them.
- Uneven floors: The floors in your home can become uneven or bouncy as a result of foundation damage or settlement sinking.
- Tilting chimney: Settlement can cause your chimney to separate from your house and tilt.
- Bowing walls: Foundation damage can cause your basement walls to bow or buckle as there is massive amounts of pressure put on your home’s structure.
If left untreated, these symptoms will only get worse and more expensive to repair over time. Repairing your foundation wall can increase your home’s value and create a safer environment for you and your family. MidAmerica Basement Systems offers several different foundation wall crack repair and settlement sinking products to keep your home stabilized and safe. Contact us today for your free quote!