Crawl Space Problems and Their Symptoms
Crawl spaces have many different problems that show many different symptoms. As a homeowner, it’s important to know the symptoms and how to identify when it’s time to call in a professional. Most symptoms will only get worse if left untreated and will create bigger, more expensive problems in the future.
A very common symptom of crawl space problems is water damage. Crawl spaces are prone to water damage based on the way they are designed, which can create major damage for your home.
If your crawl space has water damage, it can appear in many different ways, including:
- Bug infestation: Bugs love to live in dark, damp places. If your crawl space has water damage, you may notice an increase in unwanted bugs. Unfortunately, the problem can also make its way into your home and you may notice an increase in bugs in your home as well.
- Mold growth: Mold needs water in order to grow, which makes your crawl space the perfect environment. If you notice mold growing in your crawl space, it’s an indication of water damage.
- Musty odors: Water left untreated tends to give off a musty or foul odor. If you notice an increase in musty odors in your crawl space or in your home, it’s a sign of water damage in your crawl space.
Aside from water damage, there can also be structural damage in your crawl space. Structural damage can show the following symptoms:
- Sagging floors: If your crawl space has structural issues, you may notice sagging floors inside your home due to the weak floor joists that can no longer support the weight.
- Wood rot: Moisture in your crawl space can cause the wood to rot, make it very weak and unable to support the weight of your home above.
- Wall cracks: Poor soil compaction in your crawl space can cause it to settle, creating wall cracks inside your home.
If you notice any of these crawl space symptoms, contact MidAmerica Basement Systems for your free quote!